My mom went to see Dodie Osteen for prayer when she had cancer. It was a very neat experience as a group of about 100 people sat down waiting for prayer. As Dodie went to each person she would share some things out loud to everyone If she felt led. She had us welcome a huge Muselim family. She told us that they had heard about how God healed a Muslim friend down the hall at the hospital. She said they now had many Muslim friends that came for prayer and visited their church. Muslims are very open to Jesus after seeing His power and it’s one of the largest ways that they become Christians. This is the background story to this article of Why 50 Muslims sat on the front row of Lakewood Church.
I was at a Bible Study one time and my friend felt strongly that she was supposed to give a word to us in an unknown tongue. She stepped out and bravely did it. Little did she know that very morning while I had been praying that the Lord had me pray that He would give me the gift of interpretation. After she gave the tongue, the interpretation literally dropped out of heaven and I felt it fall into my spirit. I slowly stood up and then shared “Pray for the children, that they would know the truth. Pray for the children.” When this dropped into my spirit, I could even feel how God felt. I felt his passion and sadness for the children. As our Supreme Court ruling was decided, there is no reason to fear, but we desperately need to pray for the children in America. I taught in a public school part time last year and my middle school students told me that they were experimenting with same sex relations. They said it was the “cool” thing to try, kind of like a human science experiment. What? I was concerned about this for many reasons but one was because it’s not easy to get out of same sex experimenting. Once that door is opened, it’s so much harder to close it than if you didn’t try it. I was also concerned because middle schoolers spend most of their middle school years figuring out their identity. This would surely confuse them. I also realize that I am now going to need to have a talk with my children about how to be kind to someone from the same sex that makes an unwanted advance on them. I never in a million years even fathomed having such a conversation. There are also many results showing that children who were raised with same sex parents are speaking out because they are upset. They feel as if they were denied a mother or a father and did not have a well balanced upbringing. I am at peace about the supreme court ruling because God is in control. It will also move me to “Pray for the children, that they would know the truth.”
Many people often ask the question “How do I know my calling?” After seeking out God and asking this question, I have learned one thing. I have to seek God to know my calling. My first and highest calling is to Love God with all my heart. “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:13
I believe that you will not only find God when you seek Him, He will also reveal your calling or what you were made for. After our call to love God, above all else, we were made to love others. Whatever we are called to do can be found as we begin to see our lives as a beautiful canvas of loving others. By loving others, we show God’s love. There maybe many things that we were designed by God to do in this world but we will need to be refined to be able to do most of them. Our refinement can be a beautiful process, if we work with God. During the process we may find that if we seek God, He will use us to fulfill many important assignments. These assignments are very useful for God to teach us how to love.
As Christians our whole life is a ministry to love other people.
There is nothing in the world that is more fulfilling than answering a call that God gives us for an assignment from Him to love someone. Here are three ways God can give an assignment.
1. A call can come through a dream. For this to happen you have to be open to God speaking to you through dreams. God had me study how He spoke through dreams in the Bible before He gave me my first meaningful dream. Some might call this a prophetic dream. I want to share an example of when God gave me a dream for an assignment.
I had a dream a few years ago that Jen Hatmaker (the blogger) lived in the fancy side of town and I lived in the ghetto with my friend from college, Courtney Butcher. In the dream my assignment was not ready yet. The day after I had the dream, Jen announced that she would be on tv in a new reality series on HGTV. My friend Courtney was a teacher who was greatly impacting inner city kids. A few months later, I had another dream that I should check a teaching job online. I checked it and found a job that was perfect for me. I applied, interviewed and was hired to work part time with students with behavior issues. This was one of the most fulfilling things I have ever done in my whole life. I found great joy every day! I would not have asked to have it any other way. I was very happy even though I was considered to be “in the ghetto.” People would often ask me if I would rather teach at the best school in town and I would say “No, I would not want to be anywhere else, I love being where I am supposed to be!” When I surrendered to this assignment, I had a special anointing to do it very well. God did many miracles while I was at this school.
If God calls you to a hard assignment, He will give you the strength to do it! He will make it such a joy that it comes natural for you.
2. A call can come while praying, fasting and seeking God. It can also come through soaking, which is where you play music and pray and worship. I was praying one time and God told me to “love my neighbor.” He reminded me of an old neighbor that is often drunk. Later that day, my sons soccer practice “just happened” to be moved to an alternate location right near my old neighbors back yard. I prayed “God if you want me to say hi, could you have him come outside.” I looked over and my old neighbor came outside to grill on his back porch. This gave me the faith I needed that God really wanted me to go talk to my neighbor. I went over and chatted with him for a while. He shared many deep things and that he had been wounded by the church. When my son was done with his soccer practice, he came over. We talked until we had to leave and left. My son “accidently” left his shin guards at his house. We had to stop by his house and get them the next day. At this point we felt God prompting us to pray with him and his wife. We asked him if we could pray with him and he said yes. He mentioned that his dad drank and drinking was in his family. We prayed for deliverance from things hindering him from his family line and that God would touch him. We saw him a few months later at a neighborhood yard sale. He said that a pastor had been talking with him and he was visiting a local church down the street. The wife said “Wow, prayer is powerful.” Praise GOD!
3. A call can come by reading the Word. The Bible has the positive power of God and I want to ingest it into my soul everyday. We can get a call or direction by reading the Bible. A few years ago, my family was praying about where we should live. I strongly felt that we were called to live at a house in a town named Hebron but my family was not sure. My father in law was reading the Bible when God showed him the verse “In the course of time, David inquired of the LORD. “Shall I go up to one of the towns of Judah?” he asked. The LORD said, “Go up.” David asked, “Where shall I go?” “To Hebron,” the LORD answered. -2 Samuel 2: 1. Now, my husbands name is David and one of the two towns that we were looking at moving to was named Hebron so this spoke volumes. He prayed and God confirmed this verse to Him. God used this passage to literally tell him that we should go to Hebron. It was a miracle. If you are seeking direction from God and you are searching for a big answer such as relocating your family, you can ask God for a confirmation of some kind. He will be faithful to confirm His calling or assignment for you.
God can speak anyway He wants, and He will do it for you if you believe that He can. In the Bible, God has spoken through a burning bush and even a donkey.
Some people get burned out and are tired because they run and help 5 different ministries. This especially happens in the church. If you are burned out stop and ask God what He wants you to do. He may just want you to do one thing really well.
This is a note from my friend Becky Kiser about callings that I love and I want to share it with you.
“This morning I was asking God to refine and redefine what I am called to. Not change it, but help me release what I shouldn’t pursue and seek what He has already given. Then I read this just minutes after. Our callings, what we have been set apart to do, comes when we are still and are intent to worship, fast, and pray. Not do or go. Sometimes we need to read less, get less advice, plan less … And just be still and wait (or at least this is all true for me), trusting that our own verse 4 is coming! We will be sent out to do what HE has called us to. In that calling (if you keep reading) things will happen that no one could have ever predicted for you nor what you could have dreamed up. Where you are today isn’t a holding spot or an aimless wandering, it is a step in your journey that He has set you apart for!”
The Lord spoke to me today. He said “Many of my people are missing their calling.” I waited on the Lord a little more and He said “Many of my children are missing their call to LOVE.”
A late prophet who was very close to God’s heart often said “When you get to heaven the Lord will ask you one question- “Have you loved?”
So today I want to ask you “Have you loved?” Is love the main focus of your life? God is love. He asks us to love Him and our neighbors (others).
The enemy is very aware of our call to love and he intends to distract us from loving. Here are three things the spirit of distraction can make us focus on instead of love.
1. Defending our doctrine– When you get to heaven God will not ask you “Did you defend your doctrine?” I often feel like Christians do not know this. I read a Facebook conversation a while ago that somewhat broke my heart. A Christian youth pastor was arguing about doctrine with a nonChristian. I read threads and threads of “You are so wrong” and “How can you believe that!” I was brokenhearted because this other person did not leave the conversation A. feeling like he was loved and B. feeling like God loved him. There was no love at all. Just arguing. Just division. Just clanging cymbals. I knew God wanted me to pray for both ends of this conversation, that one would see their call to love and that the other would feel loved. I do not see Jesus arguing his doctrine in the Bible but I do see him loving people, helping people and healing people. I pray that if you argue your doctrine that you would stop and ask God if this is something that He wants you to do. Chances are high that it is not. Sometimes it’s easy to hide behind a computer screen and not see the other commenter as a real person, but they are a real humans with real feelings.
2. Bashing another denomination, church or pastor- This touchy subject can be a sin of spiritual pride but that is up to the Holy Spirit to convict, not me. Some call this bashing “speaking the truth in love.” We need to realize that not every ministry is the same. God has different purposes for different ministries. There was a ministry that people said believed a “prosperity gospel” so I got before the Lord and asked him. The Lord showed me that He backed this ministry and that they did not preach this because there was no such gospel. They believed a positive spiritual principal that other denominations did not understand and twisted. He gave me this verse “Blessed are you when others speak evil about you.” The people who were doing the evil speaking were Christians! They were patting each other on the back for bashing other groups. This ought not be so!
3. You decide if others are saved or not– You may even call them false. Some people decide that “someone believes this one part of their doctrine wrong” or “they don’t believe this” then they are not saved. Only God knows if someone is saved. You can see if someone has fruit but ultimately God knows the heart. There is a basic principal of truth verses lies. God spends all our lives replacing lies with truth. It’s how we grow as a Christian. It is part of our process to be more like Jesus each day. I am sure that almost every Christian in the world, has a lie that needs to be replaced with truth. If someone does not believe exactly like you do, please stop playing God for them. God weekly shows me things that I need to correct, work on, or lies that need to be replaced with truth. What has he shown you lately?
We are called to love every single person on earth. All of them. God took me through a process where He showed me I was not loving every single person on earth. There were a few people that I had to say – I don’t agree with everything that this person says or does but I do love them. How about the president? Do you love him? Did you know that you are called to?
The other day the Lord asked me to love my neighbor. He sent me to an old neighbors house who is normally drunk. He told me that He wanted to deliver the man and his wife. I was able to talk with them and pray with them and it turns out, the man was wounded by the church and turned away from it. He loves God but his wounds run deep. I think God is seriously going to use this man.
My dad was one of the best examples of everyday love I have ever known. My dad showed me everyday that someone does not have to be a pastor to be in ministry. Everyone is in ministry. In fact most of the people that we know that are the closest to God are not pastors, they are everyday people who know that their call is to love.
We live in a time where the enemy is furious because his time is short. I also see him infiltrating witchcraft to children at a level that is hard to believe. Some critics say that this game was a marketing tactic for a movie, yet many children are saying that they have seen it played at school. Charlie, Charlie is a game that summons demons by asking them to move a pencil towards a yes or no answer. Summoning demons is a warning that is very clear in the Bible to avoid. Why? It can open a very dark door. So what do you do if your child has played this game and may have opened a door? Don’t fear. Take your child and talk with them about what the Bible says about witchcraft and explain to them that playing Charlie, Charlie can be dangerous. Pray with your child. God is very loving and He is aware of the enemy’s schemes. He rejoices when a child wants to close a door of any kind. Confess with your child to God that they should not have done it and they are sorry. Then you can pray that God would close all doors to the enemy. If you are an intercessor, you might understand that you can rebuke witchcraft and replace it with the Holy Spirit. This is a wise thing to pray as well. There really is no formula for a prayer so pray whatever you feel God leading you to do. Once you’ve closed the door, know that it is closed and you can move on. You can pray this prayer with any witchcraft item, it is not limited to Charlie, Charlie.
One of my favorite testimonies of all time is from my friend Susan from CT.
Susan shares: By the age of 29 all the pain and dysfunction of my life caught up with me. I never sought emotional healing from my parents tumultuous divorce and the abandonment from each of my family members that left me living on my own by the age of 17. Recently divorced myself and without a job, suicide appeared to be a viable option. I turned to New Age for answers. However, the more I studied the more confused I became.
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Susan Noviello is now a Christian with a prophetic gift that blesses everyone she encounters.
Everyone dreams at night but not everyone remembers their dreams. I have been a dreamer and have remembered most of my dreams since I was a young girl. God took me on a journey to see how he spoke through dreams in the Bible before He gave me my very first significant dream. We were moving from Texas to Connecticut and we needed to sell two houses, our primary house and a rent house. The rent house had been on the market for about 5 months and we were about to put our house up for sale. We went to pray over our rent house and began talking with our realtor about listing our house. Soon after I had a dream that the first person who came to look at our house would make a full offer. My dream even revealed what we should list as the selling price, which was higher than what the realtor thought we should ask. We listed our house for sale and every morning I woke up and said “The first person who looks at our house is going to buy it.” Two weeks went by and no one looked at our house but I had great faith that this was going to happen. At exactly three weeks since we listed it, on a Sunday morning, we got a call that someone wanted to see our house. I cleaned a little extra and we headed off to church. For the first time, my faith wavered. I had all these thoughts in my head that said it wasn’t going to happen. “I am not sure if they are going to like our house” I said. My husband said, “You have been saying for three weeks that the first person who looks at our house is going to buy it and believe me, they are.” Thankfully he had great faith at that moment. We were told that the people wanted to look at the house again, a great sign! We waited but they didn’t call back for a few days. Then we got a call that they didn’t want to look at the house again because they had just put in an offer. The offer was very close what we were asking. We countered and they agreed. Then we got a call that there was an offer on our rent house. God sold our houses sold in record time at a time when houses were not selling very well. We were so thankful and we began a journey where we realized that God does speak through dreams.
We are so glad that you are here. Grab a cup of coffee and head back to see postings of miracles and encouraging stories that will inspire your hearts.